As a formulation scientist, support the R&D team in designing and developing novel controlled release drug delivery products, from ideation, to prototyping and proof of concept evaluation. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, work with a sense of urgency, and have a strong foundation in sustained drug delivery and formulation development for injectable and implantable dosage forms.
The candidate will be expected to execute research and development activities as assigned by management, including prototype, product, and processes development and documentation. May oversee the execution of project tasks relevant to R&D and monitor the activities and deliverables of project teams when in a leadership role
• Design and develop novel controlled release drug delivery products from ideation, through prototyping and proof of concept evaluation
• Formulate various hydrophilic and hydrophobic APIs in polymers, assess drug release through dissolution/release kinetic studies
• Fabricate implants of varying product configurations to evaluate sustained release in vitro and in vivo
• Design and execute experimental plans
• Carry out project management activities for research projects in conjunction with the project team:
o Project milestones and tasks
o Timeline for project completion
o Resources required for the project
o Cost schedule associated with the project
• Contribute to new IP for current and next generation technology platforms
• Serve as an R&D member on cross functional project teams; may interact with MSAT, Operations, and Quality personnel to support product development activities
• May supervise R&D Engineers/Scientists and assist in the coaching employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; conducting training; implementing systems, policies and procedures
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree with 5+ years relevant experience, OR a Master’s Degree with 3+ years relevant experience, OR a PhD in Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry, Material Science, or related discipline with 0-2 years’ experience
• Previous experience in medical device, pharmaceutical, research and development and/or pharmaceutical product development.
• High degree of initiative and self-motivation
• Experience in drug delivery and formulations preferred
• Experience with hydrogels is a plus
• Experience with thermal analysis (DSC, TGA, TMA, DMA) of materials is a plus
• Track record of improving/expanding a technology platform through new IP generation is a plus
• Knowledge of different mechanisms of drug delivery and understanding of API-polymer and API-solvent interactions
• Knowledge of Design Control and other medical device and/or pharmaceutical product development practices and regulatory requirements.
• Knowledge of safe laboratory practices
• Demonstrated problem solving ability using solid foundations in scientific and/or engineering principles
• Strong technical writing, interpersonal, and communication skills